Chocolate and Coffee Semifreddo
Crystallised Coffee Praline
Coffee Chantilly Cream
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Chocolate and Coffee Semifreddo, place chocolate in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Cook in microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between, until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil then reduce to low heat and allow to simmer gently. Place eggs, egg yolk, sugar, coffee granules and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and place on top of saucepan of simmering water. Whisk continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture until pale and doubled in volume. Fold into melted chocolate in two batches.
- Place cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk briefly to soft peaks then gently fold through chocolate mixture, in three additions, until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a paper lined 26cm x 10cm loaf tin and smooth the surface. Set aside, in freezer, until firm and ready to serve.
- For the Coffee Crumb, place the flour, sugar, salt and coffee granules into a food processor and process until well combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add in beaten egg and pulse to a coarse crumb. Spread mixture evenly over a lined baking tray. Bake in oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes, stirring with a fork, every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool until serving.
- For the Crystallised Coffee Praline, place sugar into a small frypan and place over low -medium heat. Melt until the sugar turns a dark amber colour. Remove from the heat and pour onto a paper lined tray. Immediately scatter the ground coffee over the surface whilst still hot. Set aside to cool down and harden.
- Once set, break into shards and place in a small food processor. Blitz to a coarse crumb and set aside, in an airtight container, until serving.
- For the Coffee Chantilly Cream, place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form and the coffee granules are well incorporated. Set aside, in fridge, until serving.
- To serve, cut the Chocolate and Coffee Semifreddo into 6 rectangular portions and place in the centre of each serving plate. Sprinkle with a generous amount of Crystallised Coffee Praline and add some Coffee Crumb. Add a scoop of Coffee Chantilly Cream and garnish with a sprinkle of ground coffee.