- Place trimmed lamb fat and bacon in a saucepan, set over high heat and cook until dark and crisp. Add 1 shallot and 1 clove garlic and cook until translucent. Add roughly chopped carrot and cook a further 5 minutes. Add shiraz and 2 thyme sprigs and rosemary and allow to boil until reduced by half, strain. Add stock and finely chopped carrot, return to a boil and reduce by half. Add 1 tablespoon butter, whisk to combine, remove from heat and set aside, keeping warm.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Add remaining shallot and cook until translucent. Add remaining clove garlic, grated parsnip and ½ cup water, cover and cook until parsnip is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer parsnip to a food processor and process to a smooth puree. Season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Place a griddle pan on high heat. Season lamb and place on hot griddle pan and cook, turning until charred on outside and pink in the centre, about 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, to rest.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add mushrooms and remaining thyme sprig. Season and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Add cream and cook until warmed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve, spread some parsnip puree on each serving plate. Slice lamb and place on top. Add mushrooms. Drizzle with sauce and season with salt and pepper.