- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place scampi shells on a baking tray and place in the oven to roast until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Finely slice ¼ cabbage and set aside. Juice remaining cabbage and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan and set over medium heat. Add garlic and anchovies and fry, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Add roasted scampi shells and cook for a further minute. Add 2 tablespoons sherry to deglaze pan. Add cabbage juice and allow to simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat, strain, add fennel seeds, season and set aside, keeping warm.
- Meanwhile, place vinegar, sugar and 60 ml water in a saucepan and set over high heat until boiling. Place finely sliced cabbage in a bowl, pour over boiling liquid and set aside.
- Place 500 ml water in a saucepan, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Add barley and allow to simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, strain well and divide in to 2.
- Place oil in a saucepan and set over high heat until oil reaches 180C. Add half cooked barley and fry until golden. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.
- Place butter in a frypan and set over low heat. Add scampi and fry, basting with butter, until cooked through, about 1 minute.
- To serve, sprinkle cooked barley and fried barley on each serving plate. Top with scampi and pickled cabbage. Drizzle with sauce and garnish with chervil and roe.