Fennel and Ginger Puree
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the pickled fennel, combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and set aside in fridge.
- For roast fennel, combine fennel, olive oil and salt in a baking tray and bake until golden and tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside.
- For fennel and ginger puree, heat butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes. Add fennel and cook for 5 minutes then add chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes until tender. Strain and reserve cooking liquid. Transfer strained fennel to a blender along with cream, vinegar and salt and pepper and process until smooth, adding cooking liquid a little at a time if required to thin out mixture to a thick cream consistency. Set aside.
- For the prosciutto crumb, place prosciutto on a paper lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until crisp. Chop finely then combine with remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- For fresh fennel, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Toss well to coat. Set aside in fridge.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together in a jug and set aside.
- For fried ginger, heat grapeseed oil to 180C. Add ginger and fry until golden, about 1 minute. Set aside on paper towel.
- Cook the scallops by heating a large frypan over high heat. Toss scallops in olive oil and salt and sear scallops for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- To serve, spread fennel puree onto plates, add roast fennel followed by scallops. Add fresh and pickled fennel, some crumb and fried ginger and drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with fennel fronds.