Goats cheese filling
Beetroot borscht broth
Roasted baby beetroot
- For goats cheese filling, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until required.
- For tortellini dough, place flour in a bowl and make a well in a centre. Combine egg yolks, whole egg, oil and milk in a jug and tip into well. Mix with a fork until dough comes together, tip onto a floured surface and knead to bring together. Continue to knead dough for 5-7 minutes or until dough is elastic and shiny. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- For vegetable stock, heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot over a high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook until vegetables begin to caramelise. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in water and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Strain liquid and reserve.
- For beetroot borscht broth, place beetroot in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 30- 35 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer to a saucepan along with enough stock to cover. Add fennel seeds, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree until smooth and pass through a fine sieve. Add horseradish and season with salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is to thick add extra stock or water until it reaches a desired consistency.
- For beetroot puree, place beetroot in a saucepan of boiling water and boil for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Peel beetroot, finely grate and add to a saucepan with cream. Cook over a medium high heat for 5-10 minutes or until softened and puree untilsmooth. Season well with salt and pepper, add lemon zest and stir to combine.
- For roasted baby beetroot, place beetroots in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20- 25 minutes or until tender. Remove, allow to cool, peel and slice in half to serve.
- To make tortellini, divide dough into eight pieces, laminate a piece of dough and roll to the second thinnest setting on a pasta machine. Repeat with remaining pieces. Cut 10cm rounds out of each piece with a cookie cutter and fill with 1-2 teaspoons of filling in the centre. Moisten edges with water and fold in half, pressing firmly to seal. Bring ends together to form a tortellini and press firmly to join. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- For candied walnuts, place sugar and water in a saucepan over allow heat and agitate until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer and cook until caramelised. Add walnuts and cook, stirring occasionally, until nuts are coated. Tip onto an oiled baking tray and allow to cool.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a rolling boil, add tortellini, bring back to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tortellini float to the surface and pasta is al dente. Drain well.
- To serve, spread a spoonful of beetroot puree over a serving plate, top with a tortellini and arrange a candied walnut, chive tips and micro cress over the plate and a teapot of borscht soup on the side.