- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- To make the ice cream, place milk and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and set over medium heat until just before boiling point. Place yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. While constantly whisking, slowly pour hot milk over eggs until well combined. Return egg milk mixture to the saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat, stirring, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer and set over a bowl of iced water to cool.
- Once mixture has cooled, remove cinnamon sticks, add sour cream and whisk to combine.
- Place bowl in electric mixer and while slowly whisking, add liquid nitrogen until ice cream has set firmly. Alternatively, freeze ice cream in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once set, place ice cream in piping bag and pipe into logs onto a lined baking tray. Coat logs in crushed freeze dried apple. Set aside in the freezer.
- To make the cake, place sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add ground pistachio nuts, almond meal and salt and stir to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition. Pour mixture into a 20 cm x 20 cm flat tray and place in the oven to bake until cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking make the fennel syrup. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to boil until reduced by half. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove from oven and brush with fennel syrup. Set aside.
- To make the cloud, place the sugar and 35 ml water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, add gelatine and stir to combine. Add apple juice, citric acid and lemon juice and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set over a bowl of iced water to cool. Transfer to an iSi gun and charge 4 times. Set aside in the fridge.
- To make the praline, place sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to boil, without stirring, until caramel in colour. Meanwhile spread pistachio nuts on a sheet of baking paper. Once sugar is a dark caramel pour over nuts and set aside to cool. Once cool, break into small pieces and set aside.
- To make caramel, place sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Allow to boil, without stirring, until a deep caramel colour. Remove from heat, add cream and salt and stir until combined. Pour into a bowl and set over an ice bath to cool.
- To serve, remove ice cream from freezer and place one on each plate. Cut cake into 6 pieces and add to the plate. Drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with praline. Remove the iSi gun from the fridge, shake vigorously and squeeze a dollop on to each plate. Garnish with fresh apple and freeze dried apple.