Chocolate Sichuan Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prechill ice cream machine.
- For the Chocolate Sichuan Ice Cream, place cream and milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and caster sugar together until light and creamy. Pour the hot milk mixture over the egg mixture and whisking continuously to combine. Return the mixture to a saucepan and stir continuously over medium heat until mixture thickens and reaches 83°C. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Allow to stand for 1 minute then mix together to combine.
- Place Sichuan pepper in a spice grinder until fine. Pass through a fine sieve into the chocolate mixture. Stir until smooth and combined.
- Pour through a sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool. Once cool, pour into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into a freezer until required.
- For the Pistachio Sable, place pistachios into a small food processor and pulse to a flour. Transfer to a bowl and add sugar. Melt butter in the microwave then pour into the bowl and mix until combined.
- Roll mixture between two sheets of baking paper. Place onto a tray and remove the top sheet of paper. Bake until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Pistachio Jaconde, place egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to soft peaks. Gradually add caster sugar until egg whites are whipped to firm peaks and sugar has dissolved. Fold pistachio meal through the meringue.
- Spread into a shallow 32cm x 18cm lined baking tray. Bake until golden and risen, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Macerated Cherries, combine cherries, caster sugar and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside until required. Drain well to serve.
- To serve, using a 6cm round cookie cutter, cut out 4 rounds of the Pistachio Sable and 8 rounds of the Pistachio Jacaonde. Place the sable in the centre of each plate, followed by the jaconde discs.
- Scatter with Macerated Cherries around the base. Top with a quenelle of Chocolate Sichuan Ice Cream and serve.