Deep Fried Cavolo Nero
- Preheat oven to 200C. Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 180C.
- To prepare the marron, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the marron to the boiling water and simmer for 4 minutes. Remove from the water and place into the iced water.
- Once the marron are cool enough to handle, twist the heads and detach the tails. Use scissors to cut away the shell on the belly side. Carefully pull the shell away and remove the tails in one piece. Remove the digestive tracts and set aside in the fridge. Reserve the shells for the bisque.
- For the Marron Bisque, roughly chop the marron shells and place into a blender. Add 40ml olive oil and process to a puree.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 20ml olive oil then add the pureed marron shells and cook until shells are orange and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, rinse the blender then add the vegetables, fresh spices and seeds and blend until smooth.
- Add the vegetable puree to the saucepan with the marron shells and cook until vegetables are soft and golden.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by two thirds.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Strain through a fine muslin lined sieve into a clean saucepan.
- For the Fennel Puree, add the fennel to the strained Marron Bisque and place over a medium heat.
- Simmer gently until fennel is soft and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the fennel using a slotted spoon and transfer to a blender. Reserve the Marron Bisque.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- To finish the Marron Bisque, continue to simmer the bisque until reduced by half. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and season with salt, to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Roast Fennel, place the fennel onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place in the oven and cook until fennel is caramelised and tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Decrease oven temperature to 50C.
- To cook the Marron, place the butter, vanilla and salt into a small saucepan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, allow butter to foam for 1 minute then remove from the heat and whisk in lemon juice.
- Add the marron tails and place into the 50C oven until just cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cut each tail in half lengthways and set aside.
- For the Deep Fried Cavolo Nero, carefully place the cavolo nero into the hot oil, in batches, and fry until crispy, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel lined tray. Season with salt.
- To serve, place the Fennel Puree in the centre of each plate. Stack the Marron, Deep Fried Cavolo Nero and Roasted Fennel on the plates. Squeeze lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with lemon zest.