Confit ocean trout
- Combine salt, sugar and lemon zest and spread over both sides of trout. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Poach yabbies in boiling salted water for 3 minutes and refresh in iced water. Remove heads from the yabbies, reserving them for the yabby oil. Reserve any coral from heads. Peel tails and remove intestinal tract.
- For yabby oil, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook yabby heads and coral for 3-5 minutes until oil is coloured. Add passata and stir for one minute, add remaining oil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently to let flavours infuse for 20-30 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- For pea puree, blanch peas in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain and blend in thermomix or blender to a puree, add butter and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve 3 times or until as smooth as desired.
- For trout, wipe the salt mixture off the trout then rinse and pat dry. Place trout in a heat seal bag with one teaspoon of oil. Poach in a saucepan of water at 46°C for 15 minutes.
- To serve; dress the shaved baby fennel with lemon juice and arrange on serving plate with confit trout, poached yabby tail, pea puree, fresh peas and fennel fronds.
Preparation: 30 minutes Cooking: 60 minutes