Celeriac Sorbet with Vegan Cream Cheese, Apple Cider Vinegar Beetroot Gel, Thyme Tuile & Dehydrated Mushroom Powder
Dry Caramel Powder
Pine Mushroom Fudge Crumb
Apple Cider Beetroot Gel
Caramelised Thyme Tuille
Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 145C and prechill ice cream machine.
- For the Dry Caramel Powder. Place a small saucepan over low medium heat. Add one third of the sugar and allow to melt to a caramel, swirling the pan occasionally. Add another third and repeat then add remaining third to make an amber coloured caramel.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture onto a silpat mat. Allow to cool and set.
- Break into shards and transfer to food processor. Process to a fine powder then pass through a sieve into an airtight container. Seal and set aside.
- For the Pine Mushroom Fudge Crumb, place the mushroom slices in a single layer onto large lined baking trays. Dehydrate in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and harden.
- Transfer to a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Add 3 tablespoons Dry Caramel Powder and salt and process for 15 seconds. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and set aside.
- For the Celeriac Sorbet, place celeriac and 2 cups soy milk into a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the celeriac is soft.
- Remove from the heat and strain the mixture, discard the milk. Transfer the celeriac to a blender.
- Place remaining 1 cup soy milk, Dry Caramel Powder and sugar into a saucepan over medium to low heat and heat until sugar has dissolved. Pour into the celeriac and blend until smooth.
- Add cream cheese, apple cider vinegar and a pinch salt and blend until smooth. Add more vinegar or sugar, to taste, if needed. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool.
- Pour the mixture into ice cream machine and churn until firm. Transfer to freezer until required.
- For the Apple Cider Beetroot Gel, combine the beetroot juice and 35ml apple cider vinegar in a small saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar and agar together then add to beetroot juice mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the salt. Pour the mixture into a baking tray and set in the freezer.
- Once set, break up jelly and place into the canister of a stick blender. Gradually add remaining 75ml apple cider vinegar and blend to a smooth gel. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and set aside.
- For the Caramelised Thyme Tuille, place the aqua faba into a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer until reduced by half. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside in the freezer until completely cooled.
- Increase oven temperature to 180C.
- Place the vegan butter into the canister of a stick blender and microwave until melted. Add flour, sugar, salt and chilled aqua faba. Process with a stick blender to a paste.
- Spread a thin layer onto a silicone mat. Sprinkle with thyme, Dry Caramel Powder and a pinch salt. Bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately turn tuille onto a cold bench top. Peel away silicone mat and allow to cool and harden. Break into shards and set aside in an airtight container.
- For the Sweet Potato Chips, half fill a saucepan with oil and heat to 160C.
- Using a mandolin on the thinnest setting, shave sweet potato into slices.
- Fry in batches until golden and crisp. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt.
- To serve, spoon Pine Mushroom Fudge crumb onto serving plates. Pipe Apple Cider Beetroot Gel around the mushroom fudge. Top with Celeriac Sorbet, Sweet Potato Chips and Caramelised Thyme Tuille shards. Dust with a little Dry Caramel Powder.