Seared Bonito and Fish Head Emulsion
Geraldton Wax Oil
- Prepare a hibachi or a grill pan over high heat. Prepare an ice bath in a large deep tray.
- For the Seared Bonito and Emulsion, remove fillets from the bonito (reserving head and frame) and cut each fillet in half lengthways. Remove bones from the fillets and set fillets aside in the fridge.
- For the Emulsion, chop the bonito frame into small pieces and place into a large bowl with the head and cover bowl tightly with cling film. Fill bowl with smoke using tea tree smoking chips in a smoking gun and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the smoked bones into a saucepan with the oil and place over a low heat to in-fuse for about 30-45 minutes. Pass through a lined fine sieve.
- Place the remaining bones into a saucepan with the water, bonito flakes and wakame and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes until liquid has reduced to 100ml. Pass through a fine sieve into the jug of a high speed blender.
- Add xanthan gum and process until fully incorporated.
- Carefully and gradually add in the infused oil, mixing on low-medium speed until mixture has emulsified and is thick. Season with salt and stir through lemon juice to taste. Set aside.
- For the Geraldton Wax Oil, place ingredients into a blender and process until oil is green and leaves are finely chopped. Pass through a cloth lined sieve and set aside for plating.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 180C.
- For the Fried Saltbush, deep fry saltbush leaves until the bubbles in the oil disappear and the leaves are dark green. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Season immediately with vinegar powder and salt.
- When ready to serve, lightly blowtorch the skin of the bonito to remove moisture. Lightly rub with oil and sprinkle with salt, then place over the hibachi and sear the skin until blistered and charred, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and plunge into iced cold water. Remove from the water and dry on paper towel. Set aside and slice. Spoon emulsion onto each plate. Ar-range slices of bonito over the top, skin side up. Season with lemon juice and salt. Add lily pil-lies and garnishes over the emulsion and top with the Geraldton Wax Oil.