Wasabi Ice Cream
Lemon Sponge Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan-forced. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl. Prechill an ice cream machine.
- For the Wasabi Ice Cream, simmer the cream and milk in a saucepan. Add the wasabi, remove from the heat and set aside to infuse.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until pale in colour. While whisking, gradually add the hot cream mixture and continue to whisk until combined.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Stir with a silicone spatula until mixture has thickened and reached 83°C.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over ice bath to chill. Transfer to the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer ice cream to 8cm dome shaped silicon moulds and place in the until frozen.
- For the Lemon Sponge, place the eggs, sugar and lemon zest into the top of a double boiler. Using an electric mixer, whisk the mixture until it is foamy and has changed in colour. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk until tripled in volume. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Add the sieved flour and salt, one third at a time, and gently fold through using a spatula. Add the butter and gently fold through.
- Transfer onto a lined shallow 23cm x 33cm baking tray and bake until golden brown and springy to touch, about for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Lemon Curd, place all ingredients, except butter, into the canister of a stick blender and process until smooth and combined. Pour into a saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Stir with a silicone spatula until thickened. Add the butter and mix until combined. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over the ice bath to cool. Cover the surface with cling film and place into the fridge until required.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180°C.
- For the Lemon Crumb, combine the ingredients to form a soft dough. Place between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out. Place onto a large flat baking tray and remove the top layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes until dark golden. Remove from the oven and set aside on a wire cooling rack. Once cool, place into a food processer and process to a coarse crumb. Set aside.
- For the Italian Meringue, place the sugar and water into a saucepan and heat, brushing down the inside of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush.
- At the same time, whisk the egg white in a stand mixer until starting to turn opaque.
- Once the sugar has reached 121°C, immediately remove from the heat and pour in a thin stream down the inside of the bowl. Whisk on high speed until meringue is glossy, reaches stiff peaks and has cooled to room temperature. Set aside for assembly.
- To assemble, scoop out some of the ice cream from the centre of each ice cream dome. Fill with lemon curd then return to the freezer.
- Cut out eight 8.5cm round circles of the sponge, using a ring cutter and set aside.
- Carefully unmould the ice cream domes and place flat side down onto the circles of sponge.
- Cover each dome with Italian Meringue and using a palette knife, create peaks in the meringue. Torch the meringue using a blow torch.
- To serve, place lemon crumb onto each serving plate. Top with a Bombe Alaska and garnish with flowers and petals.