Blood Orange Spheres
Salted Pistachio Crumb
Cone Chocolate Ganache
Orange Crème Anglaise
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- To make the Semifreddo, place cream into a stand up mixer and whip until soft peaks form, set aside.
- Place 250ml of water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Place whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a bowl over simmering water and whisk to ribbon stage. Remove bowl from heat and whisk in pistachio paste, then cool over an ice bath. Once cooled, fold whipped cream into egg mixture in 3 batches.
- Pour mixture evenly into 6cm silicon half sphere moulds and level off. Set aside in the freezer until set, about 1 and half hours.
- Once firm, remove half spheres from moulds and stick two half spheres together to form whole spheres. Use fingers to gently rub seam together and smooth over. Set spheres aside on a paper lined tray in the freezer.
- To make the Blood Orange Spheres, place sodium alginate and distilled water in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer, whisking to combine. Remove from heat place in a tall narrow jug and set aside. Fill a medium sized bowl with water and set aside to use as a water bath.
- Combine calcium lactate and sugar in a bowl. Add fresh blood orange juice and whisk until sugar dissolves. Strain mixture twice to remove air bubbles and pour into 2.75cm silicon half sphere moulds. Place in freezer until firm, about 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer and push two half spheres together, use fingertips to join seam and smooth over. Drop spheres into sodium alginate bath for 20 seconds, remove using a slotted spoon, and place straight into water bath.
- To make the Salted Pistachio Crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Place sugar and 25ml water into a small saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, and continue cooking to a golden amber colour. Pour sugar over lined baking tray and allow to set completely.
- Once sugar has set, break into shards and place into a food processor with pistachios and salt. Blitz to a rough crumb and set aside.
- To make Tuile, combine all ingredients in an electric mixer, draw a 14cm circle on baking paper to use as a guide then spread 2tbsp of mixture thinly into the circle and bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and work quickly to roll cone using a cone mould. Once firm, remove cone from mould. Set aside.
- To make the Chocolate Sauce, heat cream in a microwave until warm, about 40 seconds. Pour over chocolate and leave for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the Cone Chocolate Ganache, heat cream in a microwave until warm, about 30 seconds, Pour over chocolate and leave for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the Orange Crème Anglaise, whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan over low heat to a simmer. Remove from heat, slowly add a small amount of hot cream into the egg mixture and whisk. Pour egg mixture back into saucepan with remaining cream, add blood orange peel and whisk until mixture coats back of a spoon. Strain mixture into a clean bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- To serve, pour some cone chocolate inside the cone and sprinkle some pistachio nuts inside cone to stick to the chocolate. Splatter chocolate sauce onto plate. Puddle some orange crème anglaise next to the chocolate sauce and sprinkle some pistachio crumb on top. Place the semifreddo sphere on top of the orange crème anglaise. Place cone next to the semi freddo sphere. Add blood orange sphere then finish with pistachio crumbs.