Black Pepper Crab
- For the Fried Bread, combine bread flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder, salt, egg, grapeseed oil and water in the bowl of a stand mixer and use the dough hook attachment to mix until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead by hand until dough is smooth. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an oval, approximately 35x15cm.
- Scatter chopped coriander over the dough. Fold the dough into thirds. Roll dough to an approximate 35x15cm oval, fold into thirds again. Place dough onto a floured tray, cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place to prove for 20 minutes.
- Fill a deep fryer with vegetable oil and warm to 190°C.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and cut into 2-3cm wide strips. Press a skewer or thin piece of dowel down the centre of each strip of dough to leave a firm imprint and separate the layers along both edges. Stretch each portion of dough to 20cm length.
- Carefully place dough into the deep fryer. Fry for 4 mins or until golden and cooked through. Drain bread on a paper towel lined tray.
- For the Black Pepper Crab, clean the crabs and portion into smaller pieces. Use the back of a knife to crack the shell of the claws and legs. Set the crab aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, combine the ghee, onions, ginger, garlic, chilli and lemongrass and sweat for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in the jug of a Thermomix, combine black peppercorns, mountain peppercorns and dried shrimp and blend to a fine powder.
- Add the pepper powder to the pan of onions, stir through and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add chicken stock, ketjap manis, palm sugar, oyster sauce, tamarind paste, light soy sauce, candlenuts and fermented soybeans and bring to the boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flours in a large bowl and mix well. Add the crab pieces and toss to coat.
- Add crab to the deep fryer and cook for 2-3 minutes or until pale golden. Place crab on a paper towel lined tray to drain. Set aside.
- Transfer curry to a Thermomix jug and blend to a smooth consistency. Transfer curry back to the pan and bring back to the boil. Reduce to desired consistency and season with shio koji.
- In a large bowl, combine crab and curry sauce and toss to coat.
- To serve, place crab and sauce in a serving dish. Scatter chopped coriander over and serve with Fried Bread.