Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Chocolate Lava Cake
- Preheat oven to 220C. Pre-chill ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- For the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, place the cream, milk and vanilla seeds into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until just below boiling point. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until pale. While whisking, slowly pour the warm cream and milk mixture into the eggs and sugar. Transfer to a clean saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring with a silicon spatula, until mixture thickens and reaches 82C. Remove from heat and strain into a medium bowl and place over ice bath to cool completely.
- Transfer mixture to the pre-chilled ice cream machine and churn until set. Once set, transfer ice cream into freezer.
- For the Berry Coulis, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture cooks down to a loose jam-like consistency, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Chocolate Lava Cake, half fill a medium saucepan with water, place over medium heat and to bring to a simmer. Grease 6 metal 100ml capacity fondant moulds with butter and set aside on a baking tray.
- Place the roughly chopped butter and chocolate into a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth then remove from the heat.
- Place the eggs and sugar into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale. Stir the egg and sugar mixture into the chocolate mixture until combined. Add flour and mix until smooth.
- Divide mixture between the dariole moulds. Place in the oven to bake until just set on the outside and still runny in the centre, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for 1-2 minutes to cool slightly.
- To serve, gently unmould a Chocolate Lava Cake onto one side of each serving plate. Spoon a line of Berry Coulis next to the Chocolate Lava Cake. Place a quenelle of the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream next to the coulis. Spoon a little more coulis, including some pieces of berry, on top of the cake and around the plate. Grate some chocolate over the top of the cakes. Finish with a scatter of fresh raspberries, blueberries and chopped mint.