Triple Cooked Chips
- Preheat deep fryer to 160C. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- For the BBQ Sauce, heat the grapeseed oil in a medium frying pan over a low heat.
- Add onion to the pan and cook over a low heat until softened and starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze the pan with half of the bourbon and allow to reduce by half.
- Meanwhile, peel and deseed the tomatoes and roughly chop. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and stir until combined. Continue to cook over a low heat until the tomatoes are softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender until very smooth.
- Add the remaining bourbon, season to taste and set aside to cool.
- For the Triple Cooked Chips, cut the potatoes into flat chips approximately 5mm thick x 15mm long and add to the pot of boiling salted water. Cook until almost falling apart, around 12-15 minutes.
- Drain and place onto a wire cooling rack. Place into the freezer to cool and dry out, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and add to the deep fryer. Cook, without colouring, until slightly crisp on the outside and very soft on the inside, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the fryer and return to the wire rack. Place back in the freezer until cool again, about 10-15 minutes. Increase the oil temperature to 190C.
- Remove cooled chips from the freezer and add to the hot oil. Cook until very golden brown and crispy, around 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the fryer and drain well on kitchen paper. Season with salt.
- To serve, place BBQ Sauce into a small serving bowl and place onto a serving plate with Triple Cooked Chips on the side.