Beetroot and Blackberry Sorbet
- Preheat oven to 100C. Pre-chill the ice cream machine.
- For the Szechuan Pavlova, line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the caster sugar and whisk until meringue is glossy and firm peaks have formed, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk in the remaining ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe 12 rounds of mixture onto the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave door slightly ajar until meringues are cool.
- For the Beetroot and Blackberry Sorbet, place the sugar, glucose and 250ml water into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar then simmer until syrup reaches 100C. Remove from the heat and set the sugar syrup aside.
- Place the beetroot juice, blackberries, citric acid and 100ml of the sugar syrup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the ice cream to the freezer until required.
- For the Beetroot Syrup, place the reserved beetroot pulp and sugar syrup into a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
- Add the lemon juice and citric acid, to taste.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and set aside.
- For the Beetroot Slices, place the beetroot slices and the sugar syrup into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Gently cook until the beetroot slices are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- For the Lemon Cream, place the ingredients into a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk to stiff peaks then transfer to a piping bag. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, place a Beetroot Slice into the base of each serving bowl. Pipe on some Lemon Cream on top. Top with a scoop of Beetroot and Blackberry Sorbet then a Szechuan Pavlova. Garnish with sliced fresh blackberry and lemon balms leaves. Pour the Beetroot Syrup around the plate.