Cornflake Ice Cream
Sweet Corn Panna Cotta
Fried Curry Leaves
- Pre-chill an ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Cornflake Ice Cream, place milk, cream and cornflakes in medium saucepan over low heat. Heat milk to 75C then remove from the heat.
- Place the sugar and egg yolks into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- While whisking, pour in half of the hot cornflake mixture into the egg mixture. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Stir with a silicon spatula continuously until mixture thickens and reaches 84C.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Season with salt, to taste then place over ice bath to cool.
- Place mixture into an ice cream churner and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Sweet Corn Panna Cotta, place the gelatine into a small bowl, cover with water and set aside to soften. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Cut the kernels from the cobs and place into a small saucepan with the milk and cream. Place over low heat and simmer gently until corn is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve.
- Place into a blender and process until smooth. Add the softened gelatine and stir until dissolved. Pass through a muslin lined sieve and strain a second time to remove any lumps.
- Pour into the base of four small serving bowls and place in freezer for 10 minutes to chill. Transfer to fridge to set.
- For the Cornflake Crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Spread over prepared tray and bake until golden and toasted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Crumble to a coarse crumb.
- For the Popcorn Brittle, line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place sugar into a deep medium frypan and place over medium heat. Swirl the pan occasionally until sugar has melted to a golden brown caramel. Add the butter and stir until combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the bicarb, whisking until mixed in. Quickly add the popcorn and salt and stir through the mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared tray. Set aside to cool. Chop into small pieces to serve.
- For the Crispy Curry Leaves, place oil into a small saucepan and heat to 180C.
- Drop the curry leaves into oil and cook until there are no bubbles around the edges, about 15 seconds.
- Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, mix the Cornflake Crumb and Popcorn Brittle together in a bowl and sprinkle over one half of each Sweet Corn Panna Cotta. Arrange the fresh berries and Fried Curry Leaves over the panna cotta and top with a quenelle of Cornflake Ice Cream.