- For the banana bread, preheat oven to 180C and grease loaf pan with oil.
- Using hand beaters, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add eggs and bananas and mix until combined, then add flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Set banana bread aside in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Alternatively, when slightly warm, cover in plastic wrap for a better result the following day, and a slightly sticky surface.
Maple butter icing
- Using hand beaters, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, and the sugar has dissolved.
- With the beaters on slow speed, add vanilla extract, then 1 tablespoon of maple syrup at a time, allowing syrup to incorporate before adding another tablespoon.
- Ice banana bread and garnish with toasted pecans if desired.
Banana bread muffins
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Pour banana bread mixture into a 6-hole, Texas muffin pan, and cook for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Spiced rum butterscotch
- For the spiced rum butterscotch, heat rum and cloves in a small saucepan to just below boiling point. Alternatively, you can use a microwave. Remove from heat and leave to infuse for at least 15 minutes. Remove cloves and discard.
- Melt sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Pour in cream and half the rum mixture, stirring to combine. Cook gently for about 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool.
Evil butter roasted banana
- For the roasted banana, toss bananas in lemon juice to coat.
- Melt butter with the sugar in a saucepan. When foaming add bananas and cook for about 2 minutes until they are soft and slightly slippery.
- Heat muffins for 30 seconds in the microwave to warm through, unless fresh from the oven.
- Stir in remaining rum mixture and lemon juice to taste into the butterscotch, then divide among plates.
- Place a muffin on top, followed by a spoonful of roasted bananas. Garnish with walnuts and cream.