Penang Curry Paste
Pumpkin and Eggplant Curry
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Penang Curry Paste, place all ingredients along with 4 tablespoons of the oil into a blender then process to a very smooth paste. Set aside.
- For the Pumpkin and Eggplant Curry, cut pumpkin into 4cm cubes and toss with oil to coat. Place the pumpkin cubes onto a baking tray and roast until soft, about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the Penang Curry Paste, place the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into a wok over medium heat. Add the paste and cook, stirring until caramelised but not burnt, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add eggplant and toss to coat in the paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add coconut cream and milk, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer until eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes. Add tamarind, sugar and fish sauce to taste.
- Once pumpkin is roasted, add to the curry and stir to mix through. Remove from heat and stir in most of the basil leaves just before serving.
- For the Lemongrass Rice, place ingredients into a rice cooker and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- To serve, spoon curry into serving bowls and garnish with basil leaves, peanuts and chilli. Serve with Lemongrass Rice on the side.