- Hot hibachi.
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- To make the crème brulée, place the paperbark on a flat tray and brush with honey. Cook over the hibachi until just starting to smoke, then place in a bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan with 50g honey and bring to just under a simmer. Place the burnt paperbark in the milk mixture and let sit to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Once infused, strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks briefly, then pour into warm milk mixture and whisk to combine. Stir through crème fraiche and vanilla then strain mixture through a fine sieve into a pouring jug.
- Pour mixture evenly into 4 shallow serving bowls, then carefully transfer to a tray half-filled with warm water. Cook for approximately 40 minutes or until just set.
- Remove bowls from the water and allow to cool slightly then transfer to the fridge to cool completely.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the tops of the cooled crème brulees evenly with sugar then caramelise sugar with a blowtorch or under a grill.