- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Madeira Gelato, place milk, sugar, cream and Base 50 into a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 85C. Remove from the heat, add Madeira and blend with a stick blender.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve and set aside to cool over an ice bath.
- Once cool, pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside in the freezer.
- For the Chocolate Cake, grease and line a 30cm x 15cm baking tin and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate into a glass bowl. Cook in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between until just melted. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and beat with a spatula to combine. Fold in dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into tray and bake for 20-24 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut into elliptical shapes 6cm long and 4cm wide.
- For the Salted Caramel, place sugar into a frypan and cook over low heat until melted and deep amber in colour. Whisk in butter then cream and add salt. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- For the Madeira Veil, place madeira, water and sugar into a saucepan and whisk in agar and iota. Bring mixture to the boil, whisking continuously. Once boiled, pour a thin layer onto a large baking tray and tilt the tray until a thin sheet is formed. Set aside to cool and set then cut into 7cm rounds.
- To serve, place Chocolate Cake into the cente of each serving plate. Top with a quenelle of Madeira Gelato. Create a well in the gelato and fill with Salted Caramel. Cover with a round of Madeira Veil.