Ice Cream Base
Orange and Vanilla Ice Cream
Chocolate Ice Cream
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Ice Cream Base, place eggs and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Add milk and cream and mix to combine. Divide the mixture evenly between 2 microwave safe bowls.
- For the Orange and Vanilla ice cream, add orange zest and vanilla to one bowl of Ice Cream Base and microwave on medium power in 30 second bursts until mixture thickens and reaches 83C. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over ice to chill. Transfer to the ice cream machine and churn until firm.
- Spoon into 3cm diameter silicone dome moulds, level surface and place in the freezer until solid. Unmould and place onto a lined tray and return to the freezer until required.
- For the Chocolate Ice Cream, add chocolate to the remaining bowl of Ice Cream Base and cook in the microwave as per Orange and Vanilla Ice Cream. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to chill.
- Churn in the ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions and spoon into 5cm silicone dome moulds. Insert an Orange and Vanilla Ice Cream dome into each and level surface with an offset spatula to remove excess Chocolate Ice Cream. Place into the freezer until solid.
- For the Jaconde Sponge, line a 24.5cm x 37cm baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Place almond meal, icing sugar and whole eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk until pale and fluffy. Remove the bowl and set aside.
- Place egg whites and sugar into a clean bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to a glossy meringue.
- Fold the meringue mixture into the almond mixture then fold through flour and butter.
- Spread evenly into prepared tray and bake until lightly browned all over, about 16-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before cutting out rings using a 5cm round cutter. Place marmalade into a small bowl and heat in microwave for 10 seconds to soften. Brush over sponge rounds and set aside.
- For the Italian Meringue, place water and sugar together in a pan and heat to 118C.
- Meanwhile, place egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on low speed to foamy soft peaks as sugar syrup reaches temperature. Once syrup reaches 118C, remove syrup from the heat, increase the speed of the mixer to high and slowly pour the syrup down the inside of the bowl.
- Continue whisking meringue on medium speed until the mixing bowl has cooled.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle.
- To serve, place a round of sponge onto a lined baking tray. Remove ice cream domes from the freezer and unmould onto the sponge. Pipe meringue over domes and return to freezer until solid, about 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and transfer to serving plates.
- Heat Grand Mariner in a mini saucepan. Remove from heat and ignite. Carefully pour over meringue and serve immediately. Repeat with additional Grand Marnier as required.