Sweet Corn Ice Cream, Miso Ice Cream with Miso Caramel Popcorn, Candied Nori, Sesame Praline Dust
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Miso Ice Cream
Miso Caramel Popcorn
- Prechill ice cream machine and chill 2 medium stainless steel bowls in the freezer. Preheat oven to 120C.
- For the Sweet Corn Ice Cream, slice the kernels from the cob and place into a small saucepan with milk and cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from the heat and set aside to steep for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, place egg yolks and sugar into a medium bowl and whisk with an electric whisk or by hand until pale and thick.
- Return corn mixture to a simmer then immediately remove from heat. Strain through a fine sieve into a jug. Pour half into the egg mixture, whisking continuously until incorporated. Add the remainder and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Pour into a saucepan and stir continuously with a silicone spatula over low heat until mixture thickens and reaches 83C. Pour into a chilled bowl and chill in the freezer until cold but not frozen, about 10 minutes. Churn in the ice cream machine then place ice cream in the freezer.
- For the Miso Ice Cream, place milk, cream and miso into a small saucepan and whisk together to combine. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In the meantime, place egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk with an electric whisk or by hand until pale and thick.
- Pour half of the miso mixture into the egg yolks and sugar, whisking continuously until incorporated. Add the remainder and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Pour into a saucepan and stir continuously with a silicone spatula over low heat until mixture thickens and reaches 83C. Pour into a chilled bowl and chill in the freezer until cold, about 10 minutes. Churn in the ice cream machine then place ice cream in the freezer.
- For the Candied Nori, place nori rectangles onto a tray lined with baking paper. Brush both sides lightly with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for serving.
- For the Miso Caramel Popcorn, place sugar into a saucepan over medium heat. Allow sugar to melt and caramelise until dark golden brown. Add the butter and miso and whisk until fully incorporated. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place oil into a small frypan and when hot, add the popcorn kernels and cover the pan with a lid. Shake the pan and allow the popcorn to pop completely. Alternatively, cook according to packaging instructions. Remove from heat and immediately season with salt.
- Place the popcorn and miso caramel into a large mixing bowl and toss until evenly coated. Set aside for serving.
- For the Charred Corn, slice the corn kernels from the cob. Place into a medium frying pan with the butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the corn until browned and starting to blacken in spots.
- Season with salt, toss well and then remove from heat and set aside for serving.
- For the Sesame Praline, place the sesame seeds on a flat tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the sugar into a small frying pan on medium heat. Allow to melt and caramelise to an almond brown colour. Remove from the heat and pour over the sesame seeds.
- Lift the edges of the baking paper or rotate the tray to ensure the sesame seeds are completely captured by the caramel. Place the tray in the fridge until set hard, about 3 minutes.
- Once cool and hard, reak into pieces and process in a food processor to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve, place a tablespoon of Charred Corn into each serving bowl. Add a generous amount of Miso Caramel Popcorn and sprinkle with Sesame Praline. Top with a rocher of Sweet Corn and Miso Ice Creams and finish each plate with 2 pieces of Candied Nori.