Sweet Whipped Ricotta
Brown Butter Crumble
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Strawberry Gelato, place ingredients into a saucepan and heat to 85C. Remove from the heat and process with a stick blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool.
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- For the Sweet Whipped Ricotta, line a large sieve with several layers of muslin cloth and place over a large bowl.
- Place milk, cream and lemon into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir gently until mixture starts to separate then remove from the heat. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully pour into the prepared sieve and set aside drain and cool in the fridge. Reserve all whey in the saucepan and bowl for the granita.
- Once well drained, place ricotta, sugar and zest into the bowl of a small food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- For the Whey Granita, strain reserved whey through a fine sieve and add remaining ingredients. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Pour into a deep baking tray and freeze until solid. Scrape the surface to form ice crystals and reserve in the freezer until ready to serve.
- For the Brown Butter Crumble, place butter into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until brown specks appear. Remove from the heat and add flour, sugar and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Spread onto a lined tray and bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Return to the oven for 6-8 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb. Set aside in an airtight container.
- For the Macerated Strawberries, combine vinegar and sugar in a bowl and mix well to dissolve sugar. Add strawberries and set aside. Drain well to serve.
- To serve, arrange 6 -7 slices Macerated Strawberries in the base of each serving bowl. Add a dollop of Sweet Whipped Ricotta, a spoonful of Brown Butter Crumb and a quenelle of Strawberry Sorbet. Arrange fresh strawberries around the sorbet and finish with some Whey Granita and basil leaves.