Salted Hazelnut Ice Cream
Wattleseed Milk Skins
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Salted Hazelnut Ice Cream, place milk and hazelnuts into a high speed blender and process to form a hazelnut milk. Pass through a lined sieve and set aside 250ml.
- Place sugar and egg yolks into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until creamy and fluffy. Add the hazelnut milk, cream, wattleseed and a pinch of salt and mix to combine. Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture reaches 83C. Remove from the heat.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to cool.
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set aside in the freezer until required.
- For the Wattleseed Skins, place milk and wattleseed into a large frypan, stir to combine and bring to the boil.
- Lightly spray baking paper with oil and once a milk skin forms on top of the milk, gather the skin by pressing the oiled side of the paper onto it. Transfer to a tray, milk skin side up and bake until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Parsnip Caramel, place parsnip and milk into a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain and reserve milk then transfer parsnip to the canister of a stick blender and process until smooth, adding a little reserved milk if required.
- Meanwhile, place sugar and water into a medium frypan and cook to a very dark caramel. Add butter, whisk to combine and remove from heat. Mix into parsnip puree with a good pinch of salt.
- To serve, place a large spoonful of Parsnip Caramel on each plate. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and a little salt. Top with a scoop of Salted Hazelnut Ice Cream and garnish with Wattleseed Milk Skins.