Rough Puff Pastry
Chilli Chocolate Pastry Creme
Orange and Chilli Curd
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced.
- For the Rough Puff, place flour, butter and salt into a bowl and rub between fingertips until butter is coated in flour and some pieces of butter remain.
- Add water and mix gently until a dough just forms.
- Transfer to a flour dusted work surface and shape into a rough square. Use a rolling pin, roll out into a rectangle. Fold one end into the middle, then fold the other end over the top to make 3 layers. Repeat the process 3 – 4 times, dusting with flour as needed so the pastry doesn’t stick.
- Cut pastry in half and lay each piece onto a lined, large, flat tray. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Cover the pastry with a sheet of baking paper and another flat baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove top tray and bake for further 12-15 minutes until the surface is evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Place into the fridge to chill completely before using.
- For the Chilli Chocolate Pastry Cream, simmer milk in a saucepan over medium heat with chopped chillies. Remove from the heat and steep for 10-15 minutes. Remove the chillies.
- Place yolks, sugar and plain flour into a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add the chilli infused milk, whisking continuously, until combined. Remove from the heat and whisk until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add chocolate and butter. Mix until melted and combined. Pass through a fine sieve into a shallow tray, cover the surface with plastic film and place into the fridge to chill. Transfer to a piping bag and reserve in the fridge.
- For the Orange and Chilli Curd, place ingredients, except butter, into a saucepan and combine with a stick blender. Place over medium heat, stirring continuously, until mixture starts to thicken. Whisk in the butter and cook until mixture reaches 83°C. Remove from the heat.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a shallow tray and set aside to cool slightly. Cover the surface with a sheet of plastic wrap and place into the fridge to cool completely. Place into a piping bag and reserve in the fridge until required.
- For the Citrus Chantilly, place ingredients into a bowl and whisk together to stiff peaks.
- Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, using a serrated knife, cut the pastry into 12 equally sized rectangles for 4 serves or into 18 for 6 serves. Pipe dots of chilli chocolate pastry crème on 8 (or 12) rectangles around the edge, leaving a gap in which to pipe the curd. Pipe curd into the gap and dot with raspberry pieces. Stack the layers and top with the remaining pieces of pastry. Pipe Chantilly on top and garnish with raspberries and shaved chocolate.