Jerusalem Artichoke Ice Cream
Jerusalem Artichoke Crisps
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 160C.
- For the Jerusalem Artichoke Ice Cream, boil artichokes until tender. Drain well and place onto a tray and allow to steam. Set 6 small artichokes aside for later use.
- Once cooled slightly, chop remaining artichokes and place into a blender or food processor and process to a smooth puree. Transfer to a small saucepan.
- Add butter and cream and cook over medium heat until the butter has melted and the artichoke puree is golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, whisk egg yolks, sugar and glucose until light and fluffy. Add milk, 250g artichoke puree and a pinch of salt. Return to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture thickens and reaches 83C. Remove from the heat and pass through a sieve into a bowl and place over an ice bath to chill.
- Pour into ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into freezer.
- For the Caramel, place sugar and water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook until dark in colour but not burnt. Remove from heat and whisk in artichoke puree. Add salt to taste and set aside.
- For the Cumquat Gel, place cumquats and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Remove cumquats and transfer to a blender with water. Process until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan with agar agar and gelatine, whisk thoroughly and heat to 90C. Pour into a shallow tray and set aside in the fridge to cool and set. Break into pieces and transfer to a clean blender jug and process until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
- For the Chocolate Crunch, place chocolate onto a lined baking tray and bake until caramelised and fully melted, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Break into pieces and place into a food processor with the wattleseed and process to a crumb. Set aside in an airtight container.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 180C.
- For the Jerusalem Artichoke Crisps, place the sugar and water into a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Cut the reserved artichokes in half lengthways. Peel the artichokes, discard flesh and remove as much flesh from the skin as possible.
- Dip into sugar syrup then place into the hot oil and fry until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towel. Dust with cumquat powder.
- To serve, place Cumquat Gel onto each plate and create a well in the centre. Fill with Caramel and cover with about 2 tablespoons Chocolate Crunch. Top with a quenelle of Jerusalem Artichoke Ice Cream then finish with some Jerusalem Artichoke Crisps.