Popcorn Ice Cream
Peanut Cookie Crumb
Peanut Butter Mousse
Tempered Chocolate Decorations
- Preheat oven to 180C. Turn on ice cream machine to chill.
- For the Chocolate Pave, line two square 8cm x 4cm bottomless metal moulds with baking paper and place on a small baking tray. Place 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place chocolate in a bowl and sit on top of saucepan over simmering water and stir until melted. Remove chocolate from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place egg and egg yolk into a bowl and sit over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until eggs thicken and remove from heat. Fold chocolate into the egg mixture and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whip cream to soft peaks. Mix a small portion of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, then add all of the chocolate mixture back into the cream and fold through to combine. Pour mixture into lined mould and level off. Place into the freezer to set.
- For the Popcorn Ice Cream, pop popcorn in microwave according to packet instructions. Reserve a handful of popcorn for garnish. Place the remaining popcorn into a medium saucepan on low heat with milk and cream and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Pass mixture through a sieve, pressing with a spatula, into small saucepan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale. Bring popcorn cream mixture back up to a simmer and pour over egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan and cook on low heat until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon. Pour mixture into a bowl and chill over an ice bath. Once chilled, strain mixture then place into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturers instructions until firm.
- For the Salted Caramel, combine sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring continuously until thick. Add salt to taste then remove from heat and set aside in fridge to cool.
- For the Peanut Cookie Crumb, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place sugars, butter, peanut butter and egg into a food processor and blitz until creamed. Add flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and process until just combined. Stir in peanuts and spread mixture onto one half of a lined baking tray. Add extra peanuts to the other side of the tray to roast for garnish. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven, crumble cookie into large crumbs and set aside. Reserve roasted peanuts and set aside.
- For the Peanut Butter Mousse, whip cream to soft peaks. Add peanut butter and icing sugar and continue whipping to stiff peaks. Transfer mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle and set aside in fridge.
- For the Tempered Chocolate Decoration, Place 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place 2/3 of the chocolate in a bowl and sit on top of saucepan over simmering water stirring until chocolate reaches 50-55C. Gradually, add remaining 1/3 of the chocolate and stir until chocolate cools to 28C, or as per chocolate packaging instructions. Place chocolate into piping bag and pipe chocolate in fine 15cm lines onto an acetate sheet. Curl acetate and fasten with a clip to form chocolate curls. Set aside on bench to set.
- To serve, remove pave from freezer and unmould onto a chopping board. Remove paper and cut each square in half using a sharp knife. Smear a spoonful of salted caramel on plate, place pave on one end and add a quenelle of ice cream on the other end. Pipe peanut mousse around pave and around plate. Scatter popcorn and peanut crumb on top. Carefully unclip and release acetate from chocolate curls then place on pave. Scatter with extra roasted peanuts