- Put the drained chickpeas and water in a medium saucepan and cook until tender. Drain reserving cooking water.
- Put the chorizo sausage, onion, celery and capsicum in a heavy-based five-litre pot with a small amount of oil, and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat or until soft.
- Add the garlic, paprika and thyme and cook for another couple of minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the cooked chickpeas, crushed tomatoes and some of the chickpea cooking liquid, just to cover. Top with water if needed.
- Bring to the boil then lower to a simmer for about 20-30 mins. Season to taste and add chopped parsley.