Brown Butter Oil
Grilled Smoked Bacon Slives
Brown Butter Aioli
- Pre-heat a deep fryer to 180°C.
- Pre-heat a water bath to 80°C.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the chicken stock to a gentle boil.
- Slice spring onions and add to the chicken stock.
- Add the pipies to the chicken stock then turn the heat down and gently simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the ginger, garlic and shallots and set aside.
- Warm the grapeseed oil in a medium saucepan over low heat then add the chopped ginger, garlic and shallots. Sweat without any colour, stirring often until soft and translucent.
- Slice the bacon and mushrooms then add to the saucepan and continue to sweat for approximately 3 minutes with minimal colouring, stirring often.
- Add the butter, squid trim, scallop meat and continue to sauté for approximately minutes, stirring often.
- Add the fermented chilli paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Pass the chicken stock through a fine chinois into a large measuring jug then add to the saucepan with the squid and scallops.
- Add the chilli powder and stir well. Bring to the boil then turn down to a light simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Once the stock has reduced by approximately half, pass through a fine chinois, pressing on the vegetables and seafood to extract as much liquid as possible then discard solids.
- Pass the liquid once more through a fine chinois into a small saucepan, place over high heat and bring to boiling point.
- Add xanthan and whisk to combine then remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and set aside in the fridge.
- To clean the squid, remove and discard the tentacles, entrails, cartilage and wings.
- Cut along the natural seam of the squid tube and lay flat on the board so the flesh side is facing up. Use a clean Chux cloth to firmly wipe the inside of the squid to remove any remaining entrails and stringy membrane.
- Remove the skin from one side of the squid and cut into a 10cm square. Thinly slice into approximately 1mm wide strips. Weigh 80g of sliced squid and place in the fridge.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan over high heat and boil until it turns golden-brown and smells nutty.
- Once you have achieved a dark brown butter, remove from the heat and add the grapeseed oil, stirring to combine.
- Strain through a fine chinois lined with an oil filter into a large measuring jug and discard the solids.
- Place over an iced bath and set aside to cool.
- Place a large saucepan over high heat. Once hot, add the pipies and water. Place a lid on the pot and cook for approximately 20 seconds until the pipies just open.
- Remove the pipies from the saucepan then remove the meat from the shell and discard shells.
- Cut and scrape away the stomach ensuring the pipes are nice and clean.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- Slice the scallops in half horizontally and set aside in the fridge.
- Remove the peanuts from the shell and set aside. Discard shells.
- In a tall jug combine the sparkling water, xanthan, rice flour and tapioca flour. Blend with a stick blender until the water is thick and there are no lumps.
- Transfer to a medium stainless-steel bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- Slice eggplant into at least 4, 1.5cm thick pieces and set aside on the bench. Discard remaining eggplant.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat to warm. Once warm, place the sliced bacon on baking paper into the saucepan, cover with another piece of baking paper and cook until crisp, using another frypan to press down on the bacon.
- Once cooked, cut each piece of bacon into 5 pieces.
- Pass the confit garlic through a fine drum sieve then place the pulp into a big chop with the whole egg, egg yolks, lemon juice and salt. Blend for 10 seconds to combine.
- Slowly add the brown butter oil in a continual stream until the emulsion comes together.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle and set aside in the fridge.
- Warm the clarified butter in a tray over a water bath to 75°C.
- Place a small saucepan of water on high heat and bring to the boil.
- Once the water is boiling, blanch the peanuts for 2 seconds then drain on paper towel. Brush the peanuts with olive oil and season with salt then set aside.
- Combine the rice flour and tapioca flour in a small stainless-steel bowl.
- Coat the Eggplant slices in the flour mixture, shaking to remove excess flour then dip into the Batter. Place in the fryer and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until crisp then drain on a baking tray lined with chux cloth and season with salt.
- Place the Sliced Squid and Sliced Scallops into a small wire basket and cook in the clarified butter for approximately 30 second - 1 minute or until squid is tender and scallops are still opaque inside. Add the Poached Pipies to warm through.
- Once the seafood is cooked, lift the basket from the butter and allow butter to drip back into the tray. Turn the basket onto a baking tray lined with chux cloth to drain. Then season with salt.
- Pipe approximately 1 teaspoon of Brown Butter Aioli into the centre of the serving bowl then place 1 piece of fried eggplant on top of the Aioli.
- Evenly divide then arrange on top of the eggplant on each serving bowl, the Squid, Scallop halves, Pipies and Grilled Smoked Streaky Bacon.
- Pipe approximately 7 dots of Brown Butter Aioli around the seafood on each serving bowl.
- On each bowl, arrange 7 peanuts around the seafood and garnish with 7 summer star flowers.
- Pour 25g of XO sauce into each serving jug.