Prune and Armagnac Sauce
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Armagnac and Prune Sauce, place ingredients into a medium saucepan, cover with a cartouche of baking paper, and simmer gently until the mixture reduces slightly to a thin syrup, about 10 – 15 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, discarding the solids. Place the syrup into a clean saucepan, cover and set aside, keeping warm, until ready to serve.
- For the Vanilla Soufflé, using a pastry brush, evenly coat six 6.5cm high x 9cm wide, 1 cup capacity ramekins with butter, ensuring the final coat of butter is applied with upward strokes of the brush, up the sides of the ramekin. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes to chill. Remove ramekins from fridge, divide sugar between ramekins, and swirl ramekins to evenly coat the inside of the ramekin with sugar. Set aside until needed.
- Place the milk in a medium saucepan. Add vanilla seeds and pods and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and remove the vanilla pods. Measure out 600ml of the warm milk and set aside until needed.
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl, along with the flour, salt and remaining 100g sugar and whisk well until smooth.
- Add the 600ml of reserved warm milk gradually, whisking continuously to combine well. Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking continuously. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking continuously, then remove from the heat and set aside in the saucepan to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk to medium stiff peaks. Fold 2 spoonsful of the whisk egg whites through the cooled milk mixture and incorporate well. Once incorporated, carefully fold through the remaining egg whites until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins to 1cm from the top, and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Place the ramekins onto a flat baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven until golden brown and well risen, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from oven and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- To serve, transfer warm Armagnac and Prune Sauce into a serving jug and place Vanilla Soufflés onto plates with the sauce on the side. Serve immediately.