Smoked Bacon Rub
Smoked Pancetta Crumb
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan forced.
- For the Smoked Bacon Rub, line a large oven tray with baking paper. Lay sliced pancetta in a single layer across the tray. Cover with another sheet of baking paper and a similar sized heavy tray. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp.
- Transfer pancetta to a paper towel lined tray to remove excess grease. When cool, combine pancetta, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika and star anise in a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb.
- Meanwhile, for the Pork Belly, warm the oil in a large frypan over high heat. Add pork belly, skin side down to the pan and cook on all sides until dark brown. Transfer pork to an oven tray, reserving pork fat in the pan. When cool enough to handle, firmly rub 50g Smoked Bacon Rub all over the pork belly. Transfer pork belly to a pressure cooker, skin side down. Add the apple juice and cook on high heat for 75 minutes or until tender.
- Pass the reserved fat from the pan through a strainer into a small bowl and set aside.
- For the Smoked Pancetta Crumb, tear the bread into large chunks, place in a food processor and process to a coarse and chunky crumb. Spread breadcrumbs across a large oven tray and lightly toast in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove tray from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Cheese Sauce, place milk in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove pan from the heat, add flour and whisk to incorporate well. Return pan to the heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the warm milk, a large ladleful at a time, making sure you whisk until smooth after each addition. Return saucepan to high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the cheeses and leave to simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts, whisking as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pass sauce through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan and keep warm over low heat, stirring regularly.
- For the Smoked Pancetta Crumb, combine breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a medium bowl and toss together. Season generously with Smoked Bacon Rub.
- To finish, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add shallots, garlic and thyme and season well. Cook for 4 minutes or until translucent and beginning to very lightly caramelise.
- Meanwhile, place a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add the lardons and fry for 5 minutes or until caramelised on all sides. Remove pan from the heat and set aside.
- Add corn to the frypan of shallots and warm through.
- For the Pork Belly, release pressure from the pressure cooker. Remove belly from pressure cooker, remove skin and discard.
- Preheat a large non-stick frypan. Cut the pork belly into large lardons and place in a frying pan with a little of the reserved pork fat. Cook the pork until caramelised on all sides. Transfer to a colander or fine sieve and allow excess fat to drip off.
- To finish, add the smoked bacon lardons and the pork belly and mix through.
- Add 600g Cheese Sauce and the sour cream and gently fold through. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle some of the Smoked Pancetta Crumb over. Place the dish under the grill setting of the oven on the middle shelf, approximately 20cm from the element. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Season again with salt and pepper if needed and serve.