Bread and Mascarpone Ice Cream
Bread and Chocolate Crumb
Hazelnut and Chocolate Spread
- Pre-chill ice cream machine and preheat oven to 180C. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- For the Bread and Mascarpone Ice Cream, place the bread onto a baking tray and place in the oven until dry and toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, break into pieces and place into a small saucepan. Add the milk and cream and place over medium heat. Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk until fluffy and pale. While whisking, slowly add the hot milk and bread mixture and whisk until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Stir continuously with a silicone spatula until it mixture thickens and reaches 84C. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl, pressing with a spoon to release as much liquid as possible. Set the bowl over the ice bath to cool. Reserve bread mixture.
- Once cool, add the mascarpone and whisk until incorporated. Pour into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Bread and Chocolate Crumb, reduce the oven temperature to 140C.
- Spread the softened bread out over a lined baking tray and bake until dry, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 180C.
- Place the cooled dried bread into a food processor, add the melted chocolate and salt to taste. Pulse until combined. Spread mixture onto a lined baking tray and bake until toasted, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Passionfruit Compote, cut the passionfruit in half place the whole halves with 70ml water into a high speed blender and process on high speed until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan, add the sugar and place over low heat. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice, to taste and set aside.
- For the Hazelnut and Chocolate Spread, prepare a sugar syrup; combine the sugar and 50ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until syrup reaches 100C then remove from the heat.
- Place the hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar syrup into a food processor and blend to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate into a small bowl and set aside. Heat the cream in a small saucepan until just below boiling point. Pour over the chocolate and allow to stand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk vigorously until the chocolate and cream is fully incorporated. Add the hazelnut paste and mix together. Set aside.
- For the Coffee Syrup, place the sugar and water into a small saucepan and simmer to 100C. Remove from the heat, add the coffee granules and set aside for 10 minutes. Strain and pour into a serving jug.
- When ready to serve, prepare the French Toast. Place all ingredients, except bread and butter, into a shallow dish and whisk together. Add the bread and allow to soak for 5 minutes, turning halfway.
- Place a large frypan over medium heat and add 30g butter.
- Once butter has melted and is foamy, remove the bread from the batter, allowing excess batter to drain. Cook the bread in the pan on both sides until golden. Remove from the pan. Wipe out the pan with paper towel.
- Add the remaining butter and when melted, cook the remaining 2 slices of bread until golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- To serve, place the French Toast into the centre of each plate and spread each with Hazelnut Spread. Press the Bread and Chocolate Crumb onto the spread and top with a quenelle of Bread and Mascarpone Ice Cream. Make a small cavity in the ice cream with the back of a spoon and add a tablespoon of Passionfruit Compote. Serve the Coffee Syrup on the side.