Brown Butter Mousse
Tonka Bean Caramel
Honey Feather Tuilles
Roasted Milk Chocolate Ganache
Pear Yuzu Sorbet
Caramelised White Chocolate Crumble
- Preheat oven to 165C. Place 6 serving plates into the freezer.
- For the Brown Butter Mousse, place butter and milk powder into a saucepan and stir over medium heat to dissolve. Cook until golden and brown specks appear. Pass through a fine sieve and set brown butter aside.
- Place 180g cream, vanilla pod and seeds, white chocolate, 30g brown butter and drained gelatine into a saucepan over low heat. Stir gently until gelatine has dissolved. Remove from the heat and season with salt.
- Allow to cool then remove vanilla pod. Using a stick blender, blend in remaining 180g cold cream. Transfer to a large tray and set aside in the fridge to set, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk mousse until light and fluffy. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe mousse into 5cm round silicon dome moulds and level the surface to remove excess. Place into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Using hot water and a 2cm round melon baller, scoop the centres out and return domes to the freezer.
- For the Tonka Bean Caramel, 105g glucose syrup and sugar into a saucepan and cook until dark golden in colour.
- Meanwhile combine cream, grated tonka bean, 50g milk and 50g glucose into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully whisk in hot cream, then butter and season with salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, whisk in remaining 50g milk then transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe into the cavities of the brown butter mousse domes until just below the surface and freeze until completely solid.
- For the Honey Feather Tuille, combine honey, brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan and gently heat until fully melted through.
- Whisk in flour, then egg whites and whisk until smooth. Transfer to the fridge to chill and firm.
- Spread mixture onto large and small feather silicon moulds and bake for 8-10 minutes. Alternatively, create a template by cutting out and discarding feather shapes from a sheet of acetate. Place template onto a silicon mat and spread tuille mixture over template as thinly as possible. Remove the template and bake as above.
- Remove from the oven and as the tuilles start to cool, gently peel away the tuille from the mould or silicon mat and gently fold lengthways into feather shapes. A veined mould or a small paring knife can be used on the soft warm tuilles to create a pattern over the tuilles before shaping if required. Set aside to cool and harden.
- Brush with gold lustre and store in airtight container.
- For the Roasted Milk Chocolate Ganache, place chocolate onto a lined tray and bake until roasted, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place cream, milk, roasted chocolate and gelatine into a small saucepan over low heat, without boiling, until gelatine has melted. Using a stick blender, process to combine. Pass through in a sieve and transfer to a piping bag.
- For the Chocolate Coating, place chocolate and cocoa butter into the bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Allow to melt and reach 45-48C. Pour into the canister of a stick blender.
- To assemble, remove the mousse domes from the freezer and join together to make 6 spheres. Smooth the seam with a clean finger.
- Pierce each sphere with a skewer and dip into the chocolate coating until fully coated.
- Remove the skewer and seal the hole with a warmed palette knife or your thumb.
- Place dipped spheres onto a silicon mat, ensuring they can’t roll.
- Transfer the remaining chocolate coating into a spray gun and spray the spheres until evenly coated and velvety in appearance. Place into the fridge to set for 5-10 minutes.
- Once set, using gloves hold each sphere and gently brush with gold lustre. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the Pear Yuzu Sorbet, place ingredients into a blender and process until combined. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until firm. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Yoghurt Snow, place milk and gelatine into a small saucepan and heat over low heat, without boiling, until gelatine has dissolved.
- Place into a blender along with remaining ingredients and process until combined. Pass through a sieve into a siphon gun and charge twice with cream chargers, shaking well between charges.
- Siphon the foam into a deep bowl of liquid nitrogen and crush with a slotted spoon to a fine snow. Remove snow and place onto a lined tray. Set aside in freezer.
- For the Caramelised White Chocolate Crumble, place white chocolate into a glass bowl and microwave until a burn spot appears, then stir gently to melt.
- Add maltodextrin and whisk until a fine powder is formed. Transfer to freezer for 5 minutes.
- Combine with the Yoghurt Snow and reserve in the freezer.
- To serve, place a scoop of sorbet into the centre of each cold serving plate and create a well in the centre. Top each with a golden sphere. Pipe Roasted Milk Chocolate Ganache onto the ends of the Feather Tuilles and attach 2 large and 2 small feathers either side of the spheres. Spoon Caramelised White Chocolate Crumble and Yoghurt Snow around spheres and serve immediately.