Char Grilled Coral Trout
Thai Basil Oil
Thai Basil Curry Paste
Crispy Basil Leaves
- Prepare coals for a hibachi if using.
- For the Char Grilled Coral Trout, place the coral trout portions on to a tray, skin side up and place in the fridge to dry out the skin while preparing the remainder of the dish.
- Pat the fish with paper towel, season generously with salt.
- When ready to serve, cook skin side down on an open grill or hibachi until almost cooked through, about 4-5 minutes depending on thickness of fish. Turn and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the flesh reaches 44°C. Remove from the heat and place onto a warm plate to rest.
- For the Thai Basil Oil, place ingredients into a Thermomix and process on speed 5 at 65°C for 10 minutes. Strain through a super bag into a bowl over ice. Reserve in the fridge.
- For the Curry Paste, place ingredients in a high speed food processor and process to a fine paste. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the Curry Sauce, place coconut cream in a medium non stick frypan and bring to the boil. Once reduced and beginning to split, add Curry Paste. Stir continuously until aromatic, foamy and bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock and return to the boil. Simmer until reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lime leaves and basil leaves. Strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan. Season with lime juice and palm sugar. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- For the Nasi Ulam, cook the rice according to packaging instructions. Place 3 tablespoons of the coconut onto a tray and toast in the oven until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Whilst rice is still warm, toss through lime leaf, shallots, toasted and untoasted coconut, belacan and lime zest. Toss Thai basil through just before serving.
- For the Crispy Basil Leaves, heat oil in a deep saucepan to 180°C.
- Carefully add the leaves and cook until starting to become translucent, about 30 seconds. Remove from the oil and set aside on paper towel to cool and crisp.
- To serve, place a portion of trout in each serving bowl. Pour hot curry sauce around the fish and finish with a little coconut cream. Drizzle with Thai Basil Oil and garnish with crispy basil leaves. Serve bowl of rice on the side.