- For the White Beef stock, place all ingredients into a large, heavy based pot over low heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove from heat and strain stock liquid through a fine sieve lined with muslin cloth into a clean bowl. Allow liquid to cool, then skim surface with a ladle to remove any fat.
- For the Risotto Milanese, place 1.6 litres of the White Beef Stock into a large, heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add saffron and cover with a lid to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Place a medium sized, heavy based saucepan over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the unsalted butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook, without browning, until soft.
- Add the rice and stir until all grains are coated with oil and have slightly warmed.
- Deglaze the saucepan with white wine then stir continuously until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Add in half of the White Beef Stock to the rice saucepan and stir continuously to prevent rice sticking to the base of the pan. When the liquid has reduced, add another quarter of the White Beef Stock. When all liquid has been absorbed add remaining White Beef Stock. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until rice is cooked and a creamy texture is achieved, adding small amounts of water if necessary.
- To finish the risotto, stir through remaining unsalted butter and Parmesan.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
Serves 4 (plus leftover for Arancini)