Fig Leaf Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make the gel, place the mandarin puree in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, add remainder of the ingredients and allow to boil for 1 more minute. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and blitz with a hand blender. Place bowl over an ice bath to cool then place in the fridge until set.
- Once the gel has set, remove from fridge, blend again with hand blender and set aside in the fridge.
- To make the ice cream, crush the fig leaves and place in a saucepan with the milk. Set over low heat and allow to infuse for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain.
- Place the yolks sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking, slowly add hot milk until combined. Return mixture to saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add mascarpone and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to an ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- To make the mandarin curd, place the egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan and whisk to combine. Place over medium heat and while whisking, add butter, mandarin puree and cornflour. Continue to cook, whisking, until combined and thickened. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- To make the whipped ganache, place the cream in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Place the chocolate in a bowl, pour over the hot cream and stir until melted and combined. Place in the fridge until set.
- Once ganache has set, transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until light and fluffy. Set aside in the fridge.
- To make the crumb, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Spread on a baking tray and place in the oven to bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool then transfer to a food processor. Pulse to a coarse crumb. Set aside.
- To make the sherbet, place all ingredients in a mortar and pestle and crush together.
- To serve, place some crumb on each serving plate. Place a spoonful of ice cream on top. Add some mandarin gel, whipped ganache, mandarin curd and mandarin sherbet to the plate. Garnish with poppy seeds, fresh and dehydrated mandarin and gold salt flakes.