Lemon and Rosemary Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 160C. Pre-chill ice cream machine. Prepare an ice bath in a medium bowl.
- For the Lemon and Rosemary Ice Cream, combine cream, milk, rosemary leaves and zest in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick. While whisking continuously, slowly add the hot cream mixture and whisk until combined.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Stir continuously with a silicon spatula until mixture thickens and reaches 84C. Remove from the heat. Stir in a pinch of citric acid then strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Place over the ice bath to cool.
- Pour mixture into the ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to the freezer until required.
- For the Ginger Crumb, place ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until fully combined. Place mixture onto a lined baking tray and flatten out.
- Bake in the oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a fork to break up larger crumbs. Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and break into crumbs using a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 80C.
- For the Meringue Shards, place the egg whites into a bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk to soft peaks.
- Add the caster sugar 1 tablespoon at a time then whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Gradually add the icing sugar and cornflour and whisk until combined.
- Spread meringue mixture over a large lined baking tray until about 5mm thick. Using a small fine sieve, grate some freeze dried raspberries over the top. Bake at 80C for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Break into long shards and store in an airtight container until required.
- For the Lemon Curd, place the gelatine into a small bowl, cover with water and set aside to soften. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a small saucepan. Stir continuously over low heat with a silicone spatula until mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and add the softened gelatine. Stir until dissolved. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and place in the fridge to chill.
- To serve, spoon some Lemon Curd onto each plate and top with Ginger Crumb. Top with a quenelle of Lemon and Rosemary Ice Cream.
- Scatter with lemon balm leaves and then stack Meringue Shards over the top.