- For the Rice, place rice, 2 cups water and a pinch of salt into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover with a lid and cook until water has evaporated. Cover the lid with a folded wet tea towel and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice for a further 5 minutes.
- Uncover and remove from the heat to cool.
- For the Curry Paste, heat the oil in a small frypan over low heat. Add shrimp paste and cook until fragrant. Remove from the heat and place into the canister of a stick blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and using a stick blender, process ingredients to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- For the Prawn Curry, place the oil in a large deep frypan over medium heat. Add the Curry Paste and cook until fragrant and lightly caramelised, about 8-10 minutes. Add the Kaffir lime leaves and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for about until aromatic and tomatoes have softened, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, palm sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add the prawns, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring the prawns halfway through cooking time. Stir through the Kaffir lime juice and basil leaves and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Heat a large grill pan.
- Place 2 lengths of banana leaves and 1 sheet turmeric leaf onto a clean bench. Spread with a large spoonful of rice and top with half of the prawn curry. Roll into a parcel and secure with a bamboo skewer. Repeat with remaining leaves, rice and curry.
- Place parcels into the grill pan, turning regularly, and cook until banana leaves are charred, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve immediately.