Roasted Sichuan Chilli Oil
Spicy Sesame Sauce
Hand Cut Noodles
Fried Pork and Preserved Mustard Greens
- For the Roasted Sichuan Chilli Oil, place vegetable oil, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves, and Sichuan peppercorns into a small saucepan over low heat and cook until the oil becomes fragrant, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook for a further 2 minutes then remove from the heat.
- In the meantime, place chilli flakes, chilli powder and salt into a medium heatproof bowl. Immediately strain the hot oil through a fine sieve over the chilli. Stir well and set aside until needed.
- For the Spicy Sesame Sauce, place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- To make the Hand Cut Noodles, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Create a well in the centre and slowly pour in water whilst mixing with a fork. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Return dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, flatten gently with the palm of your hand and dust lightly with flour. Pass through a pasta machine until you have reached thickness 6 or your desired thickness. Alternatively roll out with a rolling pin, dusting with flour in between each motion.
- Dust the sheet of dough with flour and fold over on itself into 3 layers. Cut lengthways into 5mm widths with a long knife. Separate noodles by tossing gently with flour to avoid sticking. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover noodles with a tea towel.
- Bring a large saucepan of generously salted water to the boil.
- For the Fried Pork and Preserved Mustard Greens, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add pork mince and cook until browned. Add hoisin sauce, wine, soy sauce and spice powder. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place remaining tablespoon vegetable oil into the wok and sauté the pickled mustard greens for a few minutes. Transfer to the bowl with pork mince and mix to combine. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- Blanch bok choy in the boiling water and set aside. Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain well.
- To serve, place Spicy Sesame Sauce into serving bowls. Top with noodles, blanched bok choy and Fried Pork and Preserved Mustard Greens. Garnish with roasted peanuts and spring onion and finish with a drizzle of Roasted Sichuan Chilli Oil. Toss everything together before eating.