Rhubarb Diplomat Fool
Strawberry Gum Syrup
Strawberry Gum Sorbet
Strawberry Gum Poached Rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the Choux, place water, butter, sugar and salt into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling rapidly, add the flour and cook until mixture sticks to the base of the pan and forms a ball, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat out the steam. Once there is no more steam, add eggs, one at a time, and beat until glossy and shiny. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Line 12 x 8cm diameter perforated tart rings each with a 24.5cm long x 2cm wide length of perforated silicon mat. Place the lined tart ring on a large baking tray, lined with a perforated mat.
- Pipe choux mixture into rings until ¼ full. Cover rings with another perforated mat and weigh down with 3-4 baking trays. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven, uncover and trim any choux that has overflowed from the ring. Set aside to cool.
- For the Rhubarb Compote, place ingredients into a saucepan and cook over low heat until the rhubarb is falling apart, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and process with a stick blender until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- For the Rhubarb Diplomat Fool, combine yolks, sugar, flour and milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook to a thick paste. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Add the butter and use a stick blender to combine. Set aside in the fridge.
- Once completely chilled, fold through 100g of the whipped cream (reserving the remaining 200g for serving) then the Rhubarb Compote to create a ripple. Transfer to a piping bag and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Strawberry Gum Syrup, place ingredients into a saucepan bring to the boil. Boil until reduced by one third. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Strawberry Gum Sorbet, combine ingredients in the canister of a stick blender. Process until smooth and combined. Churn in ice cream machine until thick. Set aside in the freezer.
- Reduce oven to 90C.
- For the Strawberry Gum Poached Rhubarb, toss ingredients together in a bowl and place onto a lined baking tray. Bake until just tender, about 10-20, depending on the width of the rhubarb stalks.
- To serve, make a hole in the base of each choux and pipe some Rhubarb Fool inside. Place onto serving dishes. Combine remaining whipped cream with icing sugar and pipe around choux. Top with pieces of Poached Rhubarb and diced strawberries and a quenelle of Strawberry Gum Sorbet.