Coconut Ice Cream
Tapioca and Brown Sugar Syrup
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the Coconut Ice Cream, place coconut onto a lined tray and bake until deep golden, about 10 minutes, stirring often to ensure even browning. Set aside.
- Place cream and milk into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add toasted coconut. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into a bowl and whisk until lightened in colour.
- Pass the coconut and milk mixture through a fine sieve. Measure out 500ml of the milk and return to the saucepan. Add glucose syrup and place over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- While whisking continuously, add to the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan and stir continuously over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 84°C.
- Pour through a fine sieve into a large bowl and cool over an ice bath.
- Churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions and reserve in the freezer until needed.
- For the Tapioca Pearls in Brown Sugar Syrup, place tapioca and 2L water in a medium saucepan. Bring to simmer then cook for 10 minutes (or according to packet instructions) until pearls are translucent. Strain through a fine sieve and rinse gently but thoroughly to remove excess starch.
- In the meantime, place sugar and water into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar then simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add cooked tapioca pearls to the syrup and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the Macadamia Crumb, place ingredients into a food processor and process to a rough dough.
- Flatten out over a lined baking tray. Cook in the oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the Pickled Mango, place water, vinegar, sugar and salt into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over mango and place into the fridge to cool and pickle. Drain well to serve.
- To serve, spoon crumb into bowls or glasses. Add drained pickled mango and top with a scoop of ice cream. Spoon tapioca pearls and syrup over the top and serve immediately.