Caramelised Onion and Capers
Char Grilled Baby Zucchini
Zucchini Skin Puree
White Zucchini Puree
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- For the Zucchini Stuffing, drain feta and place into a small food processor along with remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth and combined then transfer to a piping bag. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the Breadcrumbs, tear the bread into pieces and pulse in a food processor to a coarse crumb. Set aside.
- For the Caramelised Onion and Capers, place a medium frypan over low heat.
- Add the oil and when hot, add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring regularly, until golden and caramelised, about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the Roasted Zucchini, slice the zucchinis in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Arrange zucchini halves on a lined baking tray.
- Add ½ teaspoon Caramelised Onion and Capers into the cavity of each zucchini half. Pipe in some Zucchini Stuffing and top with a sprinkle of Breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven until breadcrumbs are golden, about 10 -15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the Char Grilled Zucchini, place a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Toss the zucchini with olive oil and salt then place into the hot pan.
- Cook until charred and slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- When cooked, squeeze the lemon juice and sprinkle zest over the zucchini then remove from the pan and set aside.
- For the Zucchini Pickle, bring the vinegar, peppercorns, sugar and 200ml water to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from the heat and stir in the gin. Pour into a shallow baking tray and place into the fridge to cool completely.
- Add the zucchini slices and set aside in the fridge to pickle for 1 hour. Drain well before serving.
- For the Vinaigrette, place ingredients into a small bowl mix together with a fork. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the Zucchini Skin Puree, using a vegetable peeler, peel the green skin from zucchinis and chop into 1cm pieces, reserve the flesh for the White Puree in a separate bowl. Peel the outer layers of the leek, slice finely and set aside. Reserve the centres for the White Puree.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 30g of the butter and the oil.
- Add the onion, sliced leek and garlic to the pan and cook until starting to soften.
- Add the zucchini skins and cook until liquid has evaporated and the skins are soft.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender. Add the cream, remaining butter, lemon, salt and pepper and process to a smooth puree.
- Pass through a fine sieve and reserve, covered, in bowl.
- For the White Zucchini Puree, trim the ends of the peeled zucchini and grate coarsely.
- Place a medium frypan over low heat. Add the oil and 2 tablespoon butter. Add the zucchini, onion, leek and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring regularly, until tender but not coloured.
- Transfer to a blender and process with remaining butter, cream, lemon juice, salt and white pepper.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and reserve.
- For the Fondant Zucchini, trim the ends from the zucchini and then cut into 3cms lengths. Set aside.
- Place 100g butter and 2 tablespoon oil into small saucepan over low heat.
- Once hot, add the zucchini pieces to the saucepan, season with salt and baste with the melted butter and oil until generously coated.
- Turn the zucchini over and add the remaining butter to the pan. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven.
- Remove from oven and squeeze lemon juice over the zucchini. Set aside.
- To serve, spoon White Zucchini Puree onto one side of each serving plate and spread out slightly with spoon. Add the Zucchini Skin Puree to the opposite side. Add the Roasted Zucchini, some Pickled Zucchini, Charred Zucchini and a Fondant Zucchini. Drizzle with the Vinaigrette.