Coconut Ice Cream
Meringue with Davidson Plum
Brown Bread Crumb
Davidson Plum Pearls
- Preheat two ovens to 120°C fan-forced and 180°C fan-forced. Line 3 flat oven trays with baking paper. Prechill ice cream machine.
- For the Lemongrass Granita, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir over low heat to dissolve sugar. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a deep tray, discarding solids. Freeze until solid.
- Use a fork to scratch the surface and create fine crystals. Freeze until ready to serve.
- For the Coconut Ice Cream, combine cream, milk, coconut and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine yolks, sugar and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Whilst whisking, gradually add hot cream mixture into the eggs. Transfer anglaise back into saucepan and stir over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pass anglaise through a fine sieve into a deep tray, discarding coconut and freeze until cold. Transfer anglaise to an ice cream machine and churn until thick. Freeze until ready to serve.
- For the Meringue with Davidson Plum, combine egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip with the whisk attachment to soft peaks. Whilst whisking, gradually add sugar and continue whisking until sugar dissolves. Add vanilla and continue to whisk on high for 3 minutes. Transfer meringue to a piping bag with a 1cm round nozzle.
- Pipe meringue onto lined trays and bake at 120°C for 35-45 minutes or until dry. Turn oven off and leave meringues in the oven to cool completely. Sprinkle with davidson plum powder and set aside.
- For the Brown Bread Crumb, place the bread in a food processor and pulse to a chunky crumb consistency, approximately 1cm in size.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, melt the butter and continue to cook until it starts to brown. Remove saucepan from the heat. Add bread, sugar, salt and cinnamon and stir to coat bread.
- Spread bread evenly across lined tray and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking. Place a sheet of 6cm wide, 2.5cm deep disc silicon moulds on a tray. Divide crumb between 6 silicon moulds and press firmly. Chill until set then unmould.
- For the Davidson Plum Pearls, fill a small bowl with vegetable oil and freeze until cold.
- Use a small knife to pierce the surface of each davidson plum multiple times. In a small saucepan, combine davidson plums, water and sugar and bring to the boil, squashing plums to infuse syrup. Pass syrup through a fine sieve, reserving ¼ cup of syrup and discarding plums and remaining syrup.
- Combine reserved syrup and agar agar in a small bowl and stir to dissolve.
- Remove oil from the freezer. Use a pipette to drop small pearls of mixture into the oil. Set aside for 2 minutes before passing pearls through a fine sieve and gently rinsing under cool water. Set aside.
- To serve, place Brown Bread Crumb in the centre of serving plate. Top with a generous scoop of Coconut Ice Cream. Serve Lemongrass Granita, Meringue with Davidson Plum and Davidson Plum Pearls beside.