Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse
Chocolate Mirror Glaze
- Preheat two ovens to 170°C and 190°C fan-forced. Prechill ice cream machine.
- For the Hazelnut Financier, line a 20cm x 30cm oven tray.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except butter and pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse through. Use a palette knife to spread batter evenly over the tray and bake at 190°C for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool then cut into at least 8 rectangles, 2cm x 7.5cm.
- For the Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse, place milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. In a medium bowl, combine yolks and sugar and whisk together. Whilst whisking, gradually add hot milk. Return back to the saucepan and stir over medium heat until anglaise coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Add hazelnut butter, gelatine and chocolates and stir through. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and freeze until cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip cream with whisk attachment to soft peaks. Fold cream through the chilled chocolate mixture.
- Place a sheet of 2.5cm x 8cm rectangular silicon moulds on a tray. Half fill moulds with mousse. Place financier into mould, gently pressing so it sits flat against the mousse. Fill the remainder of the mould with mousse and use a palette knife to level. Freeze until firm.
- For the Strawberry Sorbet, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat and warm to 50°C. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a medium bowl and chill over iced water. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn until thick. Freeze until ready to serve.
- For the Hazelnut Crumble, line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse to a coarse crumb consistency. Spread evenly over lined tray and bake at 170°C for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- For the Chocolate Mirror Glaze, combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase saucepan to high heat, bring syrup to the boil and heat to 103°C. Add cocoa and mix through. Microwave cream for 1-2 minutes or until warm. Add cream to syrup and stir.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, add gelatine and stir to dissolve. Pass glaze through a fine sieve in a measuring jug, discarding any solids. Set aside to cool to 34°C.
- To assemble, unmould mousse and place on a wire rack set over a deep tray. Pour glaze over to coat, allowing excess to drip off. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, lift a Hazelnut Financier onto each serving plate. Garnish with gold leaf and chocolate crispearls. Spoon the Hazelnut Crumble beside and top with a scoop of Strawberry Sorbet.