Pomegranate Poached Pears
- For the Honey Sponge, grease a medium glass bowl with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar and mix. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine. Transfer batter to greased bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- For the Crème Anglaise, combine cream, milk, scraped vanilla seeds and pod in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer. Remove and discard vanilla pod.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yolks and sugar and whisk together. Whilst whisking, gradually the hot cream/milk mixture to the eggs.
- Return mixture to the same saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a deep tray, cover with go-between and freeze until cold. Transfer to a piping bag and chill until required.
- For the Pomegranate Poached Pears, combine pears, pomegranate juice and caster sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Poach pears for 5 minutes or until just tender, topping up pomegranate juice as needed to keep pears covered.
- Remove pears from the juice and set aside. Bring pomegranate juice to the boil and reduce to a syrup consistency, approximately 1/3 cup.
- For the Honeycomb, grease and line a 17cm x 23cm deep oven tray with baking paper.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, honey and salt over high heat and simmer to a deep amber colour. Remove saucepan from the heat, add vanilla and bicarb and stir through. Working quickly, pour honeycomb into lined tray, spreading evenly if needed. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes or until set.
- Once set, roughly chop honeycomb into 2cm pieces, reserving ¼ cup to garnish.
- For the Honey Cream, combine cream and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment and whip to soft peaks.
- To assemble, tear the Honey Sponge into 3-4cm pieces and place in serving glasses. Drizzle pomegranate syrup over sponge. Layer Crème Anglaise, Pomegranate Poached Pears, Honeycomb and Honey Cream. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, scatter reserved Honeycomb, pomegranate seeds and pistachios over trifle.