- Season eggplant with salt and set to one side.
- For sauce, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic, tomatoes, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a medium frying pan. Wash salted eggplant and pat dry. Panfry eggplant for 5 – 6 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Stir into sauce mixture.
- For gnocchi, combine ricotta, romano cheese, egg, nutmeg and ½ cup of the flour. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Using your hand, mix ingredients together to form dough like consistency. Add remaining flour and mix to form a stiff dough.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll into 4 cylinders. Cut and roll into 1cm balls. Using the back of a fork, pull along ball of dough to make gnocchi shape.
- Place gnocchi into a large pot of boiling water. As gnocchi rises to the top, remove and place in a colander to drain.
- Place gnocchi into a large pot of boiling water. As gnocchi rises to the top, remove and place in a colander to drain.To serve, toss gnocchi in tomato sauce and place in a serving bowl. Garnish with basil leaves and grated romano.