Honey Carrot Cake
Spiced Honey Apricots
Honey Glazed Carrots
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- For the Honey Carrot Cake, finely chop 10g of pecans and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer batter to a medium bowl, add reserved chopped pecans and fold through.
- Transfer batter to lined cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through. Set cake aside to cool in tin.
- Once cool, turn cake out onto a chopping board, trim and discard edges from the cake. Cut 6 rectangular portions, 12cm long and 4cm wide.
- For the Spiced Honey Apricots, combine sugar, water, honey, star anise and cinnamon in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add apricots and cook in the glaze for 3 minutes or until soft and plump. Set pan aside, leaving apricots to cool in the glaze.
- For the Honey Cream, combine cream and scraped vanilla seeds in a medium bowl. Whilst beating with electric beaters, gradually add the honey and continue beating to firm peaks. Chill until required.
- For the Honey Glazed Carrots, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and place a metal steaming basket over the water. Add carrots to the basket, cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until almost tender. Transfer carrots to chopping board and cut on a 45 degree angle, approx 3 cm in height, with a flat base to stand upright.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add honey and stir through. Add carrots and toss to coat, cooking for 30 seconds or until tender and glazed.
- To serve, briefly whip Honey Cream again, to firm peaks.
Place a portion of Honey Carrot Cake in the centre of each serving plate and place Honey Glazed Carrots around. Top cake with Spiced Honey Apricots and syrup and a quenelle of the Honey Cream. Scatter a few carrot leaves over the dish.