Vanilla Ice Cream
- Prechill ice cream machine. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 8 Texan muffin tin cavities and set aside.
- For the Vanilla Ice Cream, combine cream, milk and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to just below simmering point. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks, sugar and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until pale and creamy. While whisking, gradually add the hot cream mixture.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and stir with a silicone spatula over low medium heat until mixture thickens and reaches 84C. Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place over a water bath to cool. Churn in the ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Place into the freezer until required.
- For the Date Puddings, place dates and bicarb soda into a bowl. Add boiling water, stir gently to combine then set aside to soften.
- Place butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat using the paddle attachment until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together then add to the bowl, mixing on low speed until just combined.
- Use a stick blender to puree the dates and water. Add the pudding batter and mix on low speed until combined.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin. Bake until tops spring back lightly when touched on top and a skewer comes out clean when inserted, about 17-19 minutes. Place tray on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert puddings onto wire rack.
- For the Toffee Sauce, place all ingredients except bourbon into a saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves then bring to the boil, stirring for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in bourbon.
- To serve, place the puddings onto plates or a platter, flat side up. Pierce the puddings all over with a toothpick. Top with a scoop of ice cream and pour over hot toffee sauce. Serve immediately.